Friday, October 30, 2009

Dicactylus



Besides wandering the arroyos and hills around Santa Fe, accumulating old rusted and weathered material, I recently found another great place to both find inspiration and gather objects for my sculptures. It is called Habitat For Humanity and they sell used building products. Just about every day there is something different to be found in the bins. I'm spending more and more time there-it's turned into my portable studio or laboratory.

Last week I was looking in the row that sold old electrical lights and discarded wire. It got me thinking about creatures that have distinctive hair...and then I saw this bunch of old white electrical wire. I've never used wire before but it looked so expressive and evocative that I couldn't resist getting it. (I must have been a junk dealer in a past life.)

This creature is part of the group called Creatures of Curiosity. His magnificent tail incorporates my latest find...and next week, well, I've been eying this old steamer trunk.

Dicactylus
wood/wire/cloth/foam/found material
18.5" x 26" x 9"

2 comments:

  1. Great story. Isn't it funny how one can stumble into place like this that seems to offer you ready-made much of what you're looking for. I'm happy for you and am looking forward to the new beasts that will no doubt come wandering out of your studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here via Judy Coates Perez's blog, in case you are curious where 'we' come from. Anyway...these 'Creatures of Curiosity' you are creating fits in perfectly with a 'weird' photo i saw about bears in Germany who are losing their hair...I am not kidding! I wonder what you would make them from???

    ReplyDelete